Monday, February 2, 2009

Mark 7

Pharisees, they were the proud and self righteous, those who in their own minds were better than every one else. as I read this I saw me! I am at times just like these men clinging to what I think is right and forgetting to LOVE. I often pray asking God to guard my heart and more so my mind. I to often consider my self better than others when I should be doing the opposite. I go to church, I lead a Bible study, I have moved across the globe to share the Gospel to a native people and yet I still fail in this area. I know we are not perfect but when will I ever get it? I fear that I too like these Pharisees might honour Jesus with my lips but my heart will be far from him. that I too lay aside the commandments of God and hold to the commandments of men. I think it is a healthy fear of mine. It keeps me humble and always reminds me that my ways are not his ways and that I need to completely lay my life at his feet every day. I need to cleans my mind with his Holy Word, that I need to confess my sin and run to his arms for forgiveness. This is where these men whet wrong they forgot that it is not what goes in a man that defiles him but what comes out! We can not forget that all thing are good and that we only need to thank God and use all things for his glory.
I love how Jesus leaves the temple and seeks to find a place to rest and of course he is found out and instead of getting up set and telling the people to go away he listens to them and then heals the young girl and the deaf man asking them to tell no one, but of course they tell every one about it. Do you blame them? I could not keep such a miracle quiet either. But they were amazed at his power to heal.
Jesus is so kind even when he is tired he still has patience to listen to a woman's need, he truly cares for us all. I must thank his for his is so good to me also. He is worthy of praise! He is all mighty and powerful. I am so glad I can trust him and his Holy Spirit to keep me safe. I know the devil wants to bring harm to me and that God will allow certain things to come my way but I also know that he is the author and perfecter of my faith and he will not allow these trials or tests over take me but will always provide a way out.
Sorry I have been lagging! but I am back on track this week. I was going through a really trying time last week and it made me think that may be we could also add prayer requests to our blog here. I pray for the ladies who I know are reading this but I would love to be able to pray more specifically and if there are any woman out there who are reading this and haven't contacted me please let me know who you are and how I can pray for you. I am studying Tagalog in the Philippines and feel I could be ministering to those in the US by praying for them! God Bless! See you all next week.

3 comments:

Tanya said...

Thanks Erin. I appreciate your honesty and can relate to your struggles. It is disturbing to see yourself in the pharisees, but I have often done just that.

It is interesting for me to read about Jesus telling the Jews "it's not what goes into your mouth that makes you unclean" This is rather earth shattering to them. I am in a Bible study right now with someone who comes from a Jewish family and she was able to explain the significance of such a statement and why Jews today still struggle with this. It is easy for us to accept this statement, but the Kosher laws were not taken lightly. I can just imagine how angry the Pharisees must have been when Jesus was telling them these things. So much of this book makes me admire the faith and courage of the early disciples.

I look forward to your next post. You can keep my daughter, Emma, in your prayers. She is struggling to deal with the social stress of public school. And I am struggling with how to help her. I never knew life could be so complicated for a five year old!

Erin McDonald said...

I will totaly pray for her! My nephew is having the same problem. I wish school was joy and fun and excitment from learning but these days there is so much stress on the kids not nesseceraly from the school but at home with broken homes and now with so many people out of work sorring if they will have to move. I am just praying that Jesus comes quickly! Times are tough the God's word promises us that but I am so sorry your five year old has to deal with it so early on in life!

Tanya said...

Hey Erin, I wanted to let you know that Emma has been having a good week. We gave her the courage she needed to stand up to a bully and she has been a much happier kid. Thanks for your prayers. I know they help!